20 years of Cred Jewellery
For the last two decades we have pioneered ethical jewellery and responsible mining practices, and helped to break down many barriers. However, when you are constantly striving to keep moving forward, it is easy to overlook the difference your hard work has made so far.
Now, having reached our 20 year milestone, it seems the perfect time to reflect on some of our biggest achievements so far. Without all of our loyal customers, we would never have been able to make such a difference in the lives of so many and to the world of Fairtrade jewellery, here are some of the amazing accomplishments you have helped us achieve:
• Founded in 1996, Cred was originally started to raise money for social justice causes, selling silver items before it gradually became an ethical jewellery business.
• In 2003 we established the first transparent supply chain of Gold and Platinum from Oro Verde in Columbia, and we were the first jewellery company to pay social premiums for Ecological Gold.
• In 2005 along with Oro Verde, we were founding members of the Alliance for Responsible Mining.
• In 2007, we sought partnerships with producers, designers, manufacturers and retailers that share our values and launched our sister organisation Cred Sources to enable other jewellery designers and manufacturers to benefit from our ethical sourcing.
• We helped introduce the Fairtrade mark for gold in 2011 and have since streamlined the import of gold from Peru to make it widely available all over the world. Supplying customers in the USA, Europe, Australia and the UK.
• In 2011 we were the first company to produce a Fairtrade Gold wedding ring and to be a part of the certified Fairtrade system. We also started working with the Sotrami mining community in Peru.
• In December 2012, we brought the first certified Fairtrade silver to the UK. Then in February 2013 we launched the world’s first collection made from it. This first Fairtrade silver range has been the inspiration for our brand new Nouveau Collection, celebrating 20 years of Cred Jewellery.
• Keeping a strong, open connection with the miners who source our gold to the factory workers who shape it is of upmost importance to us. This means we take regular trips to all of our Cred suppliers to confirm first hand that everything is in order.
• We ended 2013 winning 3 major awards, the Lloyds TSB People and Environment Business award (PEAB) in the Supply chain category. We also received The 2013 Guardian Sustainable Business Award for our efforts in establishing a transparent supply chain. Finally CRED was selected by the Center for Studies on Sustainable Luxury [Centro de Estudios para el Lujo Sustentable] in recognition our continual commitment to social causes.
• In 2015, following a devastating fire at the Macdesa mine we raised money through the jewellery industry to help rebuild the community. We also raised funds to build a new computer room in the local school. During a recent visit, we had the opportunity to see the impact this had on the day-to-day lives of the local community.
• In 2016 we were chosen to create the Fairtrade silver medals for the Archbishop of Canterbury’s Lambeth Awards, which helped to shine a high profile spotlight on the importance of Fairtrade.
• Over the years Cred has paid over $300,000 in social premiums and last year sold 50Kgs of Fairtrade gold into the UK market. Demand for Fairtrade gold is growing and across Europe the sales are predicted to be over 500kgs in the next 12 months.
We hope you continue with us on our journey, helping to make the world a better place.
Here’s to the next 20 years!
Click here to find out how you can choose Fairtrade!